Site design created by Infinity Computer Solutions.
header04.jpg

Top Private Donors

1. Richard Weaver
  2. Heejung Park
  3. Haki
  4. David Peacock
  5. Joseph Lovering

Corporate Donors

• Harney & Sons Fine Teas

Login

Connections

One Percent for the Planet Recipient Logo

Need Our Services?

Become a participant, make a difference locally. Click here to register for our services.

Tips & Pointers

Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?

Having a sustainable Holiday Season
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
OPEN FORUM
Go to bottomPage: 1
TOPIC: Having a sustainable Holiday Season
Having a sustainable Holiday Season 9 Years ago Karma: 0  
I would like to open a discussion about ideas for having a more sustainable holiday season. Let's discuss Thanksgiving, and the gift giving holidays separately.

Thanksgiving:
- Buy a locally grown turkey, of a native species such as the American Brown, Bourbon Red, or a Black Turkey. I do not know of a source for these around Gainesville, FL, any ideas?

-When cooking and serving, do not use disposable materials if possible.

-Purchase fruits and vegetables from a local farmers' market, if possible.

Gift Giving Holidays:
-Mute the TV, change the channel, or fast forward during commercials. You will want less. Or better yet, turn off the TV all together.

-Favor gifts that are manufactured in a responsible way. If giving personal care products, buy natural products.

-If you are handy, try making gifts. Woodworking and sewing are great ways to make personalized gifts that are likely to mean more than a store bought item.

Any other ideas?
jd.lovering (Admin)
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Having a sustainable Holiday Season 9 Years ago Karma: 0  
Great timely topic.

I suggest that as a consumer, be aware of where the the item was manufactured. There are a couple of reasons for this:
1) standards are not the same, products may have more or less of harmful materials depending on regulations in the country of origin.
2) products made locally or regionally have to travel less to get to their final location (your home).
3) support local businesses when you can, these are people in your city or town, that rely on consumer spending to maintain their livelihood, and employ your neighbors. With the tough economic times, if you can help your neighbor by purchasing a product from his/her store you will help keep the local economy strong.

The other suggestion I have is to look for items with the least amount of packaging. All of that paper and plastic will only end up in the trash.

I will keep thinking, and you all do the same...
rjweaver (Admin)
graph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Go to topPage: 1

Recycle Locator